Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I know...I know...

How long has it been since I have posted on this "blog thingy"?? 2009! Are you kidding me?
I know... I know..."time flies when you are having fun"!
Well, I am making an - ummm - August resolution that I will do a better job about keeping everyone up-to-date about the happenings at Reflections.
We have had a unique problem that has arisen at Reflections over the past few weeks... I thought I would share it with you - husbands and wives who cannot agree on their home decor! Now many of you know the head honcho at Reflections...my husband, Bill. He is a wonderful husaband and father who is happy as long as he has a comfortable chair, TV, refrigerator and bed - in that order. He likes whatever I bring into our home and really offers no opinion about the design, or fabric, or color, or style of any of our furnishings - even though he sees the latest and greatest in home decor whenever we venture to market to buy for the store. Not everyone has it this easy...
For example, we have recently had a couple angry and upset over which style sofa to buy - she wanted tailored and classic and he wanted comfortable and "bubba" (our term for man cave furniture) - we carry both at Reflections! They argued throughout the store and on their way out and in the car as they were leaving - I imagine that car ride was not pleasant...
When it comes to decorating, men and women can have very different tastes. I feel that if you share a home with someone, you need to blend your styles. Here are a few tips:

- Talk before you buy. Discuss what both of you like and try to come up with a plan. Find out what each of you value and what you consider important in a room. If you need assistance, your wonderful Reflections Home Furnishings sales associate will be glad to help!!
- Look for similarities in your styles and focus on those.
- Don't try to force your style on your partner. Also, don't allow your partner's style to be forced on you! Never try to tell your partner what items should or shouldn't matter to them.
- Respect your partner's ideas and give them the same respect that you would want in return.
- Choose colors that will appeal to both of you - the new grey undertones in furniture can often work as subtle neutrals and provide a great backdrop to other colors.
- Find a balance between masculine and feminine items. Avoid anything overly curvy and girly as well as anything too boxy or masculine. For example, a leather club chair with a nail head detail is masculine if the shape is boxy, but if you opt for a curvier shape, it becomes more female friendly.
- If you love a more girly sofa, your Reflections associate can help you find a few masculine finishing details to go along with it, like an accent chair in leather or houndstooth or with accesories like many of the new "antique-look" trays, books or wooden tables. It will make your room much more interesting!
- Last but not least, remember your partner when making major purchases - shopping together and making decorating your home a joint effort should be fun!

We've seen more and more husbands who watch HGTV and have a few "ideas" of their own and we love to help them and their wives find the furnishings and decor to make their home warm and inviting to their family and friends at Reflections!

I love this quote:
"May our home know joy, may every room hold laughter, and every window open to great possibilities."

Happy Decorating! (I know... I know... you'll hear from me again soon!)

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 The Barco Firm